Something I've Noticed

Just a quick note today - something to perk you up midweek and a thought to carry around.

Recently, I've seen a lot of things like this on social media - particularly Instagram and Facebook.
Age. . Gabrielle Union is 2 years older than Katie Hopkins... PM - 19 May 2018. I went completely bald at 20, I can't exactly judge this ugly bitch for looking old.

And I have to say - I kind of thought we were better than this by now.

Yes, Katie Hopkins is (in many opinions) not a very nice person. She is full of controversial opinions and general loud-mouthedness. But, that's not what these posts are about.

These posts speak to me of a wider problem - a problem that I thought we were slowly but surely beginning to tackle.

What is our obsession with pinning women against each other?

Why do we force women to compete? Why compare two women to indicate value in one and not the other?

Even more pertinently - why do we still see aesthetics as an indication of value?! And maintenance of this despite the natural process of ageing is somehow an achievement?

So think about this as the week goes on.
I once saw a great quote written on a wall in an underground station in London that read:
'Adjacent flowers do not compete to become the biggest, the most beautiful or the best - they just bloom.'

Comments

Popular Posts